my Music connects us all in unique and beautiful ways, and when artists collaborate across borders, cultures, languages and more, its something that should be celebrated because it captures and inspires the spirit of togetherness our continent and world is sometimes missing.
This is Top 20 Afropop collaboration music videos of 2017. These are not ranked in order of preference. In addition to this, this lists only includes African artists that collaboration with artists across borders and nationality. So for example, although Dotman and Mr Eazi’s “Afro Girl” is one of my favorite songs, it does not make the list because they are both Nigerian.
Anyway, here is my list. Although purely subjective, my criteria is based on a few things: rhythm/melody, audio & visual production quality, lyrics & content, and overall artistic presentation. View counts didn’t matter.
- French Montana – Unforgettable ft. Swae Lee (Collaboration: Morocco and United States)
2. Jah Prayzah – My Lilly ft. Davido (Collaboration: Nigeria and Zimbabwe)
3. Toofan – Ma Girl ft. Patoranking (Collaboration: Togo and Nigeria)
4. WizKid – Come Closer ft. Drake (Collaboration: Nigeria and United States)
5. Diamond Platnumz – Hallelujah ft Morgan Heritage (Collaboration: Tanzania and United States)
6. Sarkodie – Pain Killer ft. Runtown (Collaboration: Ghana and Nigeria)
7. Nasty C – Said with Runtown (Collaboration: South Africa and Nigeria)
8. Diamond Platnumz – Waka ft Rick Ross (Collaboration: Nigeria and United States)
9. Jah Prayzah – Nziyo Yerudo ft. Yemi Alade (Collaboration: Zimbabwe and Nigeria)
10. Wale – My Love ft. Major Lazer, WizKid, and Dua Lipa (Collaboration: United States, England and Nigeria)
11. Jah Prayzah – Sendekera ft. Mafikizolo (Collaboration: Zimbabwe and South Africa)
12. Sarkodie – Ur Waist ft. Flavour (Collaboration: Ghana and Nigeria)
13. ExQ – Do Me Good ft. LuluDiva (Collaboration: Zimbabwe and Tanzania)
14. Yemi Alade – Get Through This with Mi Casa (Collaboration: Nigeria and South Africa)
15. KiDi – Odo Remix ft Mayorkun & Davido (Collaboration: Ghana and Nigeria)
16. Winky D – My Woman ft Beenie Man (Collaboration: Zimbabwe and Jamaica)
17. Awilo Longomba – Rihanna ft. Yemi Alade (Collaboration: Congo and Nigeria)
18. Rayvanny – Makulusa ft Maphorisa x Dj Buckz (Collaboration: South Africa and Tanzania)
19. Demarco – No Wahala ft. Akon, Runtown (Collaboration: Jamaica, United States/Senegal, Nigeria)
20. Wale – Fine Girl ft. Davido and Olamide (Collaboration: United States and Nigeria)
Sincerely, Kwapi Vengesayi
Kwapi Vengesayi is a Zimbabwean-American and creator of the award-winning social commentary entertainment showcase, the Shades of Black Show. He has worked with singer/songwriters that have gone on to sign to major record labels, dancers that have toured with major artists such as Ariana Grande and productions such as the Marvel Universe Tour, and more. He is also a four-time Amazon bestselling author.